Monday, February 4, 2013

Holy Sites

The entire city of Jerusalem is holy ground. I'm not just talking about how it is the center of the world, the City of David, the place where Jesus died and was resurrected, or the fact that it will be the capital of the world after the 2nd coming, although those are all excellent reasons for calling it Holy. I'm talking about how wherever you go, chances are something of immense (or at least important) historical or religious value happened on that spot. For instance, the mountain I go to school on is the place where the Roman Titus planned the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., which lead to the burning of the 2nd Jewish Temple as a result. The mountain next door is the place where Jesus wept as He predicted this coming destruction and also is the place where He will return one day. I'm devoting this post to two of the principle holy sites in Jerusalem and my experiences there: The Wailing Wall and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. I've been privileged to have been able to visit the Holy Sepulcher twice so far, and it is absolutely breathtaking. The church is built over the spot where Catholics believe Jesus died and was resurrected. Protestants have their own locations that they swear by, but the Catholics have about a 1200 year head start. Monks are everywhere, and Gregorian Chant echoes throughout the many rooms and domes. Entering this massive domed structure, you are immediately confronted by a slab of rock protected by dozens of incense burners. This rock is where the Catholics say Jesus died, and it is heavily perfumed. A steady line of pilgrims kneel at the rock, touching it and rub cloth and other items on it to lock away the smell for posterity, while passionately praying to God. Around the corner there is a massive dome set high in the ceiling, under which is a tomb-like structure where the Catholics say Jesus was resurrected. Pilgrims are herded like cattle into a long line, with very little room between tomb and barriers, in order to have the privilege of actually going inside it. We patiently waited in line and got to go in. Inside is a tiny room with a small table in the center with paintings of Christ and his sacrifice, with an even smaller door on the other end (I had to crawl in) leading into the inner sanctum. In a room so small it makes a closet seem roomy, there hangs a painting of Christ, ringed by candles. This is the spot where He was resurrected. I bought a candle for myself to bring home, and said a silent prayer before having to leave for the next pilgrim to have some time. It was an intensely powerful experience, and even though I'm not Catholic I appreciated the lengths they went to to venerate such a holy place, and the measures they take to ensure that it stays holy. It would be wrong for me to say that this place is purely Catholic, however, as the Orthodox sects also claim pieces of the church for themselves. When I say "pieces" I literally mean "pieces". Each group has their own area, and they've fought over the centuries over the levels of influence and responsibility each sect has over the governorship of the church. It's gotten so bad that a Muslim family is in charge of the keys to the building itself. The fight is fierce and petty, evidenced by the presence of a ladder above the door that has been in place for over thirty years because nobody knows who put it there, and none of the sects want to offend any of the others by taking it down. I wish I could say that we Protestants are above such squabbling, but the last few years have shown that we are just as prone (indeed more so) to petty spats and childish behavior. Regardless of the different sects' attitudes, the building itself is a marvel to behold, and a strong testament to the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment