Tuesday, April 2, 2013
The Halfway Point
Well, I've reached the top. It's all downhill from here. I have officially reached the halfway point of my stay here in Israel. I've been here for two and a half months, with two and a half months to go. I am currently wrapping up my spring break, with classes resuming on Sunday. These last few months have been a whirlwind for me, and it still kind of feels like we just got off the plane a week or two ago. I've been given a crash course in Hebrew, been introduced to Israeli culture, toured throughout the country, and have gotten used to living in the holiest, and most coveted, city on earth. I've learned the lay of the land, where to go and where not to go, gotten used to trying to live around each faith's holy day, and how to navigate both the Old City and the greater city's light-rail. I've been to the four major holy sites, and can now say that I've spent Good Friday and Easter in the City of David. I'm in the midst of some amazing classes, taught by awesome professors. My Palestinian History course is fascinating, and I always seem to lose track of time as I listen to Professor Nazzal give passionate speeches about the corruption of the Palestinian Authority and the need for Israelis and Palestinians to work together. My Israeli Foreign Policy class is one of the best classes I've ever taken, taught by a guy who looks just like Michael Caine. His stories of the War of Independence and the aftermath are incredible. My Modern Israel History class is also great, learning about the founders of Zionism and what each of them wanted the future Jewish state to look like. My Cultural History of Jerusalem class is a treat because we actually get to go on field trips in Jerusalem so that our professor can show us the actual sites that she's lecturing on. Finally, my Political Theory of the Welfare State is just a fun time, as I have a blast being the only Conservative, small-government American in a class full of Israelis. I've made some amazing friends along the way as well. We've hiked the northern mountains of Israel together, descended into the half-lit alleys of the Muslim Quarter together, prayed together, broken bread together, and worshiped together. They all like to joke about how I love America more than anyone they've ever met before. We're in the midst of the Old Testament right now, reading about Joshua and Israel's return to the land of their forefathers. The Bible Studies I've become a part of have been fantastic, and have really helped me understand the Old Testament and the foundations of my faith better. The discussions are informative, challenging, and intelligent, with the focus being on building knowledge over a part of the Bible that few Christians ever take the time to study. All in all, these past few months have been an incredible, being able to live in the City of God and in the country of His people. Of course I've felt homesick from time to time, and I look forward to going back at the end of my time here, but for now I am trying to live the Israeli life to the fullest (without going Kosher) and take advantage of each and every opportunity that is presented to me. I am so thankful for the opportunity to study here, and I can't wait to see what the next two and a half months have in store!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment